When moving house, there are some common mistakes you can avoid so that your moving day doesn’t become a total disaster. Here is a list of the most common mistakes that people make when they are moving house that can really cause some problems. Click through to read more.
- Put everything off until the last minute. When moving day comes, if you are not ready, no one else cares. Your lease is up, your house is sold and it is time to get out of town, literally. If you are not ready when the moving van pulls up, that is just too bad. In fact you may incur fines and other surcharges if you are not packed up and ready to go. You may also lose, break and damage your items in your last-minute efforts to pack. So do yourself a favor and start packing as soon as you decide to move.
- Neglect to confirm your moving people a few days before moving house. Whether you are using your friends and relatives or a professional removal company to move house, make sure to call them a few days before you are moving to confirm that they are coming. Friends forget your moving house day and professional moving companies lose reservations. Don’t wait until the morning of your move to find out that no one is showing up to help you.
- Forget about your pets. Moving house doesn’t always go the way you planned, and your pets may complicate things further. Make sure that if you have to stay in a hotel that your pets are welcome, and that you keep all of their supplies in a place where you can easily find them. If you have pets that are hard to handle, you will need a designated person to take care of them and make sure they are not a danger to themselves or others.
- Don’t tell anyone at work that you are moving. You may think that if you schedule your move on your day off that you will be covered, but this is not always the case. You may not be able to make it to work the next day because your move didn’t go well for a million different reasons. Make sure that your employer knows there is a possibility that you might not make it the next day and also give them a change of address.
- Get old boxes form the grocery store to pack your fragile items. Boxes from the grocery store are old and fall apart during the beating they will take when you move them form one house to the other. If they fall apart in the middle of the street while you are moving, you may damage or break your electronics or other valuable items.
Last but most importantly, don’t forget to buy moving insurance!