If you have never moved before or even if you have, you know that moving to a new house is probably one of the most trying experiences you can go through. This is because not only is there the stress of the actual move, there is also the chores of getting the utilities transferred, cleaning, packing, and finding a new home in the first place – all of this while you are probably working full time and taking care of your other responsibilities.
You may get a lot of advice on moving the contents of your house, but here are the top three tips that will help make your moving house more like a summer breeze than a hurricane disaster. Remember this advice applies if you are moving down the street or moving interstate.
1. Get out your camera! This may seem like an odd piece of advice for house moving, but when you think about it, it really isn’t. Here are some reasons why a camera may be your best friend during a house moving:
- Security Deposit: If you are renting your house, you will want to get your security deposit back. This means that you will want to take interior pictures with the date and time of your entire home after you vacate it so that you have proof of any damages.
- Irreplaceable items: If you are hiring a removal company, you will want to take pictures of all of your items so that if they become lost or broken during the move you can claim them on the insurance.
- Old Family heirlooms: If you have bulky old antiques that you don’t have room for and don’t want to move, take a picture of them for the scrapbook before you get rid of them or give them away. This will curb the urge to take things that you no longer want, but still want to remember.
2. As soon as you know you are moving house, buy a package of large outdoor trash bags and start throwing things away! The less you have to move, the cheaper and easier it will be. Things like old clothing, magazines, unused exercise equipment, dying plants, broken electronics, outdated papers, books, children’s toys, and anything that you won’t be using need to go. If you add up the cost and effort it takes to move and store these kinds of junk, you will see that the sooner you get rid of it, the better!
3. Pack a little everyday! Once you know that you are moving your house, set the wheels in motion. Every day that you go to the store and you see an empty box, take it home and pack it with things that you know you will be moving. Do this every day and by the time you are ready to move your house, you will be packed and ready to go.
Once all that is complete give us a call at Removalists Sydney. We’d be happy to help you out.